Perfect carrot cake.
- 340 g flour
- 10 ml ground cinnamon
- 5 ml ground ginger
- 2.5 ml ground nutmeg
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 10 ml baking powder
- 5 ml salt
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 225 g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 170 g or 125ml golden syrup
- 500 g grated carrot
- 60 g pecans or walnuts optional
For the icing
- 100 g butter softened
- 125 g cream cheese high fat
- 500 ml icing sugar sifted
- 5 ml lemon juice or vanilla essence
- A few extra pecans or walnuts for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, spices, bicarb, baking powder and salt).
- Make a large well in the centre and in a separate bowl mix the eggs, oil, sugar and syrup.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients and whisk well until there are no lumps.
- Add in the carrot and the nuts and pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for approximately an hour and a half until a skewer comes away clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning it out, and leave it too cool completely before icing.
To make the icing
- Beat the butter until light and smooth. Add the cream cheese and beat until they are combined. Add in the icing sugar and the flavouring and mix gently. Once combined spread the icing on the top and sides of the cake as desired. Decorate with a few extra nuts.