Light and bright orange cake for all occasions.
Orange Chiffon Cake
Light and fresh
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 oranges
- ½ cup oil
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 200 g soft butter
- 500 g icing sugar
- 1 orange or lemon zested and juiced
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in a large bowl for whipping.
- Wash and zest the oranges, extract the juice and add the juice, zest and oil to the yolks.
- Mix the yolks lightly and add to the flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and whip to stiff peak. Using a metal spoon, fold the whites into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into an UN-greased chiffon tin. Bake at 160°C until cooked through, when tested with a skewer (about 60 minutes)
- Remove the tin from the oven and turn upside down to cool (preventing the cake from collapsing in on itself).
Make the icing
- Cream the butter, icing sugar and zest. Gradually add the juice a little at a time to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, ice and decorate as desired.